Sunday, March 6, 2011

a special day for a special man.

this is the third time i am posting in a weeks time. ahh so exhilarating!

well today is my absolutely wonderful, amazing, and irreplaceable grandpa's birthday.



just a little background on this amazing man...
i have always been his "doll". he was the one that would sit on the floor and play barbies and pretty pretty princess with me- oh and believe you me, he wore the jewelry! my grandpa and grandma would take me to claires sometimes on sunday and let me get that magical basket that you could carry around. i came home with so much jewelry. this explains my love for costume jewelry. my grandparents would have done anything for me and they did almost everything i asked or wanted. 
yes, i will admit i was spoiled, but never a brat. 

last may, my wonderful grandma who i am named after passed away. it was sudden and not expected. it was also two months before my wedding, which i thought i would never get past. but God was glorified in it. you see, she was in the hospital for a biopsy. the morning she passed away they told her she had breast cancer, but it was totally treatable. a few hours later a blod clot dislodged and hit her heart. it was like a ticking clock and could have happened anywhere, thankfully she was under the care of doctors and nurses- see, a God thing. she had a heart attack. she had also been suffering from Alzheimer's for a couple years. it wasnt severe yet but she asked me the same questions alot and i answered every time. there was a few other serious illnesses that she was dealing with that they never knew. God knew and had a perfect plan because this amazing woman didnt suffer except for a few minutes of pain. she would have faced many hard times and painful years. He faithfully held her in His hands and protected her. because of this i grew closer to my family than i thought i would ever be. especially my grandpa. from that day on i had lunch with him every day of the week to make sure he wasnt lonely. i thought i loved him before but i had no clue. my grandpa is one of the most important people in my life and i thought when we moved i couldnt imagine not having lunch with him everyday. and yes, it has killed us both. i never knew how much i missed eating sandwiches. :) 

i miss my grandma so much, words cannot express how much, but i am so grateful for the awakening God provided me and how i have used these past months to strengthen this relationship with my grandpa. i cannot imagine the hurt he faces everyday knowing his wife of 58 years isnt with him. but he is so strong and i am so thankful for his example of a Godly man and husband. he took care of my grandma and answered her many questions too. he loved her and honored her. he treated her with kindness and respect. he was wonderful to her and everyone else.

he is just amazing. 
as simple as that.

so, happy birthday grandpa.
i pray you have many more.
i love you.


1 comment:

  1. very sweet post, glad to finally read your blog, miss you girl!

    ReplyDelete